Intermediate Sunday School Class (Ages 6-10; Grades 2-5)
In its present format, students will be in this class for 4 years. This class will reinforce and build on fundamental truths introduced in the Junior class
- a survey of the book of John that emphasizes who Jesus Christ is and how we can have eternal life
Truths and verses introduced in the Junior class will be reviewed and built upon so as to ensure that each student has an understanding of the following:
- who God is
- He is everywhere
- He knows everything
- He is in control
- He is powerful
- He is eternal
- He does not change
- Three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- He created us
- He loves us
- He wants us to be part of His family
- He is holy – explained in age appropriate terms, and contrasted with our sinfulness and separation from God (new to this class)
- what sin is
- God makes rules about what is right and wrong
- e.g., children obey your parents
- sin is breaking God's rules
- God does not like us to sin
- what the Bible is
- the Bible was written by God
- He used people to do this
- it contains God's rules
- it explains who God is and what He has done for us
- it explains how we can have our sins forgiven
- it contains God's lessons for us from history (new)
- what faith is
- believing what the Bible says
- believing what God says
- trusting that God cares about us
- depending on God to look after us
- who Jesus is
- He is both God and man
- He is perfect; He never sinned
- He is the Saviour
- the only way for us to be forgiven
- the only way for us to be part of God's family
- the only way for us to go to heaven
- He has God's power; e.g., over death, sin, nature etc.
- what God has done for us
- He has given us an earthly family and friends
- He provides us with all good things
- He always love us, no matter what we do
- He became a man (Jesus), so that He could be our Saviour
- He had to die so that our sins could be forgiven
- what we need to do to have our sins forgiven
- admit to God that we have broken His rules (sinned)
- believe that Jesus paid for our sins by dying on the cross
- our good works cannot pay for our sins
- what God wants those He has forgiven to do
- learn about Him and others that served Him
- worship and serve Him
- love and serve others
- tell others about Jesus
- what church is
- where we learn about God and Jesus
- where we worship God and Jesus
- where we spend time with God's family
- not a building; it's a gathering of believers (new)
Key Memory Verses
Students will memorize verses that were introduced in the Junior class:
- Ps 139:14 - God made me.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 - The Bible was written by God.
- Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the Lord.
- Romans 10:17 - Faith comes by hearing God's Word.
- Romans 3:23 - All have sinned.
- Hebrews 9:22 - Without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sins.
- 1 John 1:7 - The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us of our sins.
- John 3:16 - God loves us and gave His Son for us.
- Romans 6:23 - God has given us the gift of eternal life through Jesus.
- John 14:15 - If you love Jesus, you will obey Him.
- Ephesians 6:1,2 - Children obey your parents…Honour your father and mother…
- John 13:34 - Love one another as I have loved you.
- Heb 11:3 - Faith brings understanding; creation by the word
- Jn 1:1,14a - The Word
- 1 Jn 5:11-13 - He who has the Son has life
- Php 4:6,7 - Prayer
- 1 Jn 1:9 - Confession
1. Children's Firm Foundations by Trevor McIlwain and Nancy Everson, New Tribes Mission, Sanford FL 32771-1487. Can be ordered from New Tribes Mission of Canada, Box 707, Durham ON N0G 1R0, telephone 519-369-2622