Junior Sunday School Class (Ages 3-6; Preschool, Kindergarten & Grade 1)
Typically, students will be in this class for up to 4 years. During this time, there will be an emphasis on developing basic skills conducive to future learning including: listening, sitting still, taking turns, sharing, praying, singing, role playing, colouring, making crafts, being kind to one another, following instructions and obeying their teacher.
In addition, they will learn:
- who God is
- He is everywhere
- He knows everything
- He is in control
- He is powerful
- He is eternal
- He does not change
- Three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- He created us
- He loves us
- He wants us to be part of His family
- what sin is
- God makes rules about what is right and wrong
- e.g., children obey your parents
- sin is breaking God's rules
- God does not like us to sin
- what the Bible is
- the Bible was written by God
- He used people to do this
- it contains God's rules
- it explains who God is and what He has done for us
- it explains how we can have our sins forgiven
- what faith is
- believing what the Bible says
- believing what God says
- trusting that God cares about us
- depending on God to look after us
- who Jesus is
- He is both God and man
- He is perfect; He never sinned
- He is the Saviour
- the only way for us to be forgiven
- the only way for us to be part of God's family
- the only way for us to go to heaven
- He has God's power
- e.g., over death, sin, nature etc.
- what God has done for us
- He has given us an earthly family and friends
- He provides us with all good things
- He always love us, no matter what we do
- He became a man (Jesus), so that He could be our Saviour
- He had to die so that our sins could be forgiven
- what we need to do to have our sins forgiven
- admit to God that we have broken His rules (sinned)
- believe that Jesus paid for our sins by dying on the cross
- our good works cannot pay for our sins
- what God wants those He has forgiven to do
- learn about Him and others that served Him
- worship and serve Him
- love and serve others
- tell others about Jesus
- what church is
- where we learn about God and Jesus
- where we worship God and Jesus
- where we spend time with God's family
The students will not necessarily memorize whole verses verbatim, but will learn key parts of key verses, as a foundation to future SS classes and memorization.
- Gen 1:1 - God made the heavens and the earth.
- Ps 139:14 - God made me.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 - The Bible was written by God.
- Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the Lord.
- Romans 10:17 - Faith comes by hearing God's Word.
- Romans 3:23 - All have sinned.
- Hebrews 9:22 - Without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sins.
- 1 John 1:7 - The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us of our sins.
- John 3:16 - God loves us and gave His Son for us. If we believe in Jesus we will live with God forever.
- Romans 6:23 - God has given us the gift of eternal life through Jesus.
- John 14:15 - If you love Jesus, you will obey Him.
- Ephesians 6:1,2 - Children obey your parents…Honour your father and mother…
- John 13:34 - Love one another as I have loved you.