Senior Sunday School Class (Ages 11-13; Grades 6-8)
Typically, students will be in this class for 3 years. During this time, the teaching will build on foundations laid in earlier classes, while reinforcing basic truths so that new students can also be introduced to this class. When students graduate from this class, they will then participate in the adult teaching time held in the main auditorium. This class is intended to prepare students for that time, ensuring that they are well grounded in fundamental Biblical doctrines and church practice.
The major parts of the curriculum will include:
- completion of the NTM “Firm Foundations” chronological teaching course (Reference 1)
- teaching will adhere closely to the curriculum laid out in this study so that the gospel is presented clearly and consistently
- a survey of the book of Romans that emphasizes the doctrines of justification, sanctification and glorification, chapters 1-8, (The teaching resource for this is Romans, Verse by Verse - Reference 2)
- a study in evangelism using the book “Training for Evangelism” as a resource (Reference 3)
- the students will be “tested” to ensure that they understand (and are able to communicate) what the gospel is (and what it is not; i.e., common pitfalls)
- a study of New Testament Church practice including:
- what God wants those He has forgiven to do:
- be baptized (once)
- celebrate the Lord's Supper (as oft as you do this...)
- teaching on these two should teach the students that these are Christ-given ordinances to believers, and motivate those students that are saved to be baptized and participate in the Lord's Supper (in consultation with their parents and the oversight)
- what the local church is - not a building, but an assembly of believers...
- the distinct roles of men and women in the church and home
- church government
- the roles of elders and deacons
- a study of spiritual gifts that emphasizes how and why they are given (e.g., Eph 4), and how each believer can discover and use his
Key Memory Verses
- Romans 3:23 - All have sinned.
- Hebrews 9:22 - Without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sins.
- John 3:16 - God loves us and gave His Son for us. If we believe in Jesus we will live with God forever.
- Romans 6:23 - God has given us the gift of eternal life through Jesus.
- John 14:15 - If you love Jesus, you will obey Him.
- John 13:34 - Love one another as I have loved you.
- Php 4:6,7 - Prayer
- 1 Jn 1:9 - Confession
- Hebrews 11:1 - The nature of faith
- Mt 28:19, 20 - The Great Commission (Evangelism)
- Gal 2:20 - We are dead to sin and alive to Christ (Identification, Baptism)
- Rom 8:28,29 - God uses all circumstances to accomplish His purpose in us
- Rom 12:1,2 - Present yourselves...do not be conformed
- 1 Thess 4:16,17 - The Rapture (Glorification)
- 1 Cor 11:26 - The Lord's Supper
- 1 Cor 11:2 - Headship (Men/Women Roles)
- Acts 20:28 - The Role of Overseers
1. Firm Foundations - Creation to Christ, by Trevor McIlwain and Nancy Everson, New Tribes Mission, Sanford FL 32771-1487. Can be ordered from New Tribes Mission of Canada, Box 707, Durham ON N0G 1R0, telephone 519-369-2622
2. Romans, Verse by Verse, by William Newell, Grace publications Inc., 1938.
3. Training for Evangelism by Richard Sisson, Moody Press 1979. This or the equivalent can be ordered from New Tribes mission of Canada, Box 707, Durham ON N0G 1R0, telephone 519-369-2622
4. Principles of Spiritual Growth by Miles J Stanford, Back to the Bible. This can be ordered from New Tribes Mission of Canada, Box 707, Durham ON N0G 1R0, telephone 519-369-2622.